Welcome to The Office of Head of Civil Service
ROLES AND FUNCTIONS
The mission of the Civil Service, as stated in the Civil Service Law, 1993 PNDCL 327, “is to assist the Government in the formulation and implementation of government policies for the development of the country.”
For the purpose of achieving its object under the law, the Service performs the following functions-PNDC Law 327(3)
- Initiate and formulate policy options for consideration of government;
- Initiate and advise on government plans;
- Undertake such research as may be necessary for the effective implementation of government policies;
- Implement government policies;
- Review government policies and plans;
- Monitor, co-ordinate and evaluate government policies and plans;
- Perform such functions as are incidental or conducive to the achievement of the object specified in this Law, and
- Perform such other functions as the Executive may direct.
The Law defines the mandate and functions of the Ministries as to - PNDC Law 327 (13)
- Initiate and formulate policies taking into account the needs and aspirations of the people;
- Undertake development planning in consultation with the National Development Planning Commission.
- Coordinate, motivate and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the performance of the sector.
Drawing a distinction between the policy and regulatory functions of Ministries on one hand and the implementing functions of Departments on the other, section 13 and 14 of the law provide that:
Every Department of Government created by or under the authority of the law in a Ministry shall be a unit under the Ministry.
The Department shall be responsible for the implementation of the function for which it was created.
A Department of a District Assembly shall not form a part of the Ministry or any national level organization to which it relates.
PNDC Law 327 (7) of 1993 mandates the office of the civil service to undertake the following:
- Ensuring efficiency of the service;
- Having charge over all Civil Servants
- Ensuring effective implementation of government policies and plans;
- Advising government on employment and policy formulation within the Service;
- Advising on conduct of management audits and review, and
- Determining and advising on manpower limits for the Service.
A Modernised customer-sensitive public organisation providing world-class services and policy advice.
The Office of the Head of Civil Service exists to promote and ensure continuous renewal and professional development of the Human Resource of the Civil Service by ensuring that the MDAs are optimally structured, adequately staffed with the right skills mix to provide policy advice to Ghana’s political leadership to facilitate good governance and accelerated national development.
In furtherance of its vision, mission, and corporate image, the OHCS is guided by the following core values:
- Customer sensitivity
The OHCS ensures that the Civil Service is staffed with competent personnel and the various Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) are well organized to provide excellent service to their diverse publics.